Tips for Hiring a Home Renovation
Finding a good home renovation contractor can be a very hectic task. However there are some guidelines you can follow to make sure your contractor will do a good job. Here are some good tips to follow before you hire a professional contractor of your home improvement jobs.
- Before consulting a home renovation contractor, you have to decide on what work you want to have done to your home. Easy enough, but make sure you consult your partner and go over your options.
- Consult at least 3 contractors and interview them to get the best idea of who you should hire. Are they experienced? Are they licenced? Are they trustworthy?
- Try to get copies of their insurance slip and business license. You should be able to have access to their state or province’s contractor’s license and it is up to you to verify those are not expired.
- Ask contractors for references and call each one to get the details of their past jobs.
- Do analysis the work for each contractor before choosing best one.
- Try to give about 1 week for contractors to get back to you. You can use this time to do your research and check their references.
- Don’t forget that the lowest bid is not always the best. References are what matter if you want to play it safe and avoid future costs if you have to re-do the work correctly.
- Have your estimate prepared in writing and keep in mind that the estimate may change due to some unexpected issues or problems. The contractor can discover hidden problems throughout the project. It happens!
- Don’t pay the full amount upon commencement. Most home owners may pay only a percentage at start, followed by the remainder upon completion.
- Always check the contractors work in detail when the work is done. This is the time to ask questions and ask for advice.
If you follow these guidelines before hiring a professional contractor, you will have a success with your new home renovation project.